Nuts and Bolts -- Stainless vs Zinc

To: 6-Pack <6pack@autox.team.net>, "mgs@autox.team.net"
Subject: Nuts and Bolts -- Stainless vs Zinc
From: Don Malling <dmallin@attglobal.net>
Date: Mon, 26 May 2003 08:18:10 -0400
I'm trying to decide between stainless and zinc plated nuts and bolts
for my restoration.

If I use stainless, then I need to use lock tight on the threads when
either the nut or the bolt is not stainless? Any particular color from
this chart?  http://www.humvee.net/hid/misc/locktite.html

I understand stainless is softer, so I guess I should not use it where
torque specifications are important?

If I use zinc, is all zinc the same, or are there various
grades/quality. Maybe I should get them at McMaster Carr rather than my
local hardware store?

If if clean up the old nuts and bolts, is there anything I can use to
make them look nice -- other than paint? Probably lots easier to buy
new, but thought I'd ask just in case.

Thanks,

Don Malling