Re: TD Still is Sick

To: Mike Razor <mrazor@mis.net>, mgs <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: TD Still is Sick
From: Bullwinkle <yd3@nvc.net>
Date: Tue, 27 May 2003 19:34:08 -0500
Mike:

I still think it's an ignition or electrical problem.

Make sure the battery isn't failing or you have poor connections at the
battery cables.

A richer mixture, as when under load, is harder to ignite.  So while an
engine may run fine at idle, it will miss under acceleration or high
road speeds.

Start with a new capacitor, and then perhaps another new capacitor.
I've seen new one's out of the box fail, or fail shortly after
installation.  After that, try a new coil.

Remove the distributer cap complete with leads and plug caps.  Check
with a VOM meter.  You should have no resistance between a plug cap and
the contact inside the cap.

Try thoroughly washing the cap and rotor with soap & water.  Dry with
rags, compressed air and a hair dryer.  This will temporarily clean off
any carbon tracking if that's the problem.
Inspect the cap and rotor carefully for cracks using reading glasses or
magnifying glasses.

Replace the low tension wire between the coil and distributer.

Make sure the engine is properly grounded.  A poorly grounded engine
will cause low starter voltage and low ignition voltage.  The ground
strap is on the LH side under a clutch housing bolt and a tower bolt.

Blake