valve cover removal

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: valve cover removal
From: Bill Saidel <saidel@camden.rutgers.edu>
Date: Sun, 1 Jun 2003 23:31:40 -0400 (EDT)
No apologies here for the novice question. I'm using Larry Macy's
dictum...don't ask, won't ever know.

I'm doing my 1st engine rebuild. Bought a junker last year for the
express purpose of rebuilding and reboring its motor for my B - if it is
not cracked which I'll eventually know before reassembly. It'll be a
learning experience in any case.

Got the motor out of the car fine.
It's sitting on the garage floor right now, soon to be put on an engine
stand. I got the flywheel off after solving some logistical problems but
it's off. The backplate is off, too.
   I'm doing every thing deliberate, keeping a log with notes of progress
and questions, taking digital photos, etc. Reading Bentley and Haynes over
and over, looking at the diagrams and the Moss diagrams. Soon to see them
in my dreams.

   And then I come to a simple problem that I cannot figure out. How do I
get the valve cover off? Bentley says 'unscrew the two nuts and lift off
the rocker cover..."  Which nuts? The nuts on the top of the valve cover?
But from the diagrams, they don't seem to attach to anything except the
valve cover and its external fittings. The Haynes diagram (1.6) doesn't
have any bolts mounting the valve cover to the cylinder head.

 Help.

Bill S.
'76B