Re: go for balance or rings?

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: go for balance or rings?
From: Larry Colen <lrcar@red4est.com>
Date: Tue, 10 Jun 2003 08:44:45 -0700
It is my sincere wish that other people are learning from my mistakes,
and can therefore save themselves a bit of money and bother and not
have to make mistakes of their own to learn by.

One of the biggest things I seem to be learning is how expensive it
can be pushing the edge of the envelope. Not so much because the parts
are so much more expensive (though they can be) but because of the
number of those expensive parts that you end up having to throw away
because they went just a little bit too far.

On Tue, Jun 10, 2003 at 06:55:43AM -0600, Larry Hoy wrote:
> Larry, my practice has always been to replace all rings, re-hone the
> cylinders, and balance the new piston to the old ones.  You can do less,
> but if the engine is a high performance engine the more you do the
> better.

That was pretty much what I expected, and in the long run isn't that
much more work or expense, but I can always hope that I'll get some
small break where doing it the right way is doing it the easy
way. Then again, I guess I can hope that someone will drive by on
highway 9, see me working on my car in my pitiful tarp walled shed and
decide that my project is so cool that they need to give me large
amounts of money so that I can do it right.

> Aren't you using a supercharger?  What is your compression ratio?  Those
> pistons look like they will be in the 10:1 ratio with a 'normal' head.
> Isn't that to high of a compression ratio for a supercharger?

Theoretically they are 8.0:1

This time, I'm getting  burette and will measure the combustion
chamber volume "cc the cc".

> Also that piston looks like something beat on it.  Those nicks (which
> appear to be old) may cause detonation.

That piston is going away. I'm pretty sure that those nicks are caused
by bits of ring.

While I'm replacing the rings, should I get new rings from Venolia, or
is there some specific brand I should get?

   Larry

--
                   Girling is not a verb.