Re: mga master cylinder

To: WRROOPE@aol.com, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: mga master cylinder
From: Barney Gaylord <barneymg@MGAguru.com>
Date: Sat, 14 Jun 2003 23:36:58 -0500
At 09:18 PM 6/14/03 -0400, Bill R <WRROOPE@aol.com> wrote:
>.... brakes on my 56 MGA. The master cylinder ....
>.... I have 2 other ones  with the same casting numbers but the bores are
>quite a bit smaller. The number  on the m/cyls are all 38183c. Why the
>different bore sizes? What do the smaller m/cyls fit?

The 3/4" bore M/C is for the 1098cc Spridget (with front disk
brakes).  Occasionally a 3/4 bore unit finds its way into a car which
should have a 7/8 bore unit.  The smaller fluid displacement with the small
bore makes for longer pedal travel, virtually requiring the driver to bury
the clutch pedal in the floor mat to shift gears, and maybe a double pump
on the brake pedal to get effective stopping power.  Do NOT install the 3/4
bore M/C in your MGA, especially an MGA with four wheel drum brakes which
requires a bit longer pedal travel to begin with.

Barney Gaylord
1958 MGA with an attitude
http://MGAguru.com