RE: alternate alternators (1978 MGB)

To: <ejrussell@mebtel.net>
Subject: RE: alternate alternators (1978 MGB)
From: "Steve Shoyer" <Steve@shoyer.com>
Date: Fri, 20 Jun 2003 08:14:29 -0400
I ran into the same thing rebuilding my car.  My wiring harness had the
style #1 plug, and the replacement alternator had style #2 terminals.  I
wound up filing down the terminals on the alternator with a Dremel tool
so they would fit the plug.  I didn't want to chop up my new wiring
harness, and wasn't sure if the alternator would work, so I figured it
would be the least destructive way to hook them up.  Everything seems to
work well so far.

--Steve (1980 MGB)

ejrussell@mebtel.net wrote:

>I have discovered I have two slightly different (Lucas) alternators for
the
>1978 MGB I'm trying to re-assemble.
>
>Style #1 (that came with the car) has 3 terminals - one large, central
spade; two smaller spades.  Style #2 (from the eBay auction) also has 3
terminals - two large; one small.