MG 2003 finished!

To: <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: MG 2003 finished!
From: "Chuck Renner" <crenner@dynalivery.com>
Date: Mon, 23 Jun 2003 00:01:09 -0500
Since my last update, we had the picnic with valve cover races.  Nearly
everyone showed up for the BBQ (with help from Moss), and picked from
burgers, brats, or chicken.  So there was a large crowd watching the valve
covers compete.  The "Shock and Awe" racing team won the event, with a
special weight design.  Beware if they agree to show you how it works,
though, as they always booby-trap it, as at least one person found in the
parking lot later that night.

Kelvin was crawling around on the ground, taking the opportunity to compare
the suspensions of a factory MGB GT V8 and a RBB.  I'm sure he'll give a
full report of his findings later.

Show day was quite nice, with a field full of MGBs, MGAs, Midgets, the
aforementioned factory V8, several V8 and V6 conversions, a YA, a Sprite,
and a couple of Sunbeam Tigers.  Throughout the day, many took the
opportunity to take a ride on the double-decker bus that a local real estate
company provided.

As the show wrapped up, many took the opportunity to travel to the nearby
airport for the fly-in of Waco biplanes.

Saturday evening was the awards banquet, with a good meal and words from Ken
Costello and Ken Smith.  Immediately afterwards the hospitality room was
open, with good beer (Guiness, Bass, and Harp) provided by the Kansas City
club with help from Moss.

This morning was the farewells breakfast, with folks trickling through to
grab a bite on their way out, courtest of Prairie Octagon.

It was good to see list members David Deutsch and Rick Ingram again.
(Hopefully Rick's back is improving, as he was unfortunately limping around
quite a bit.)  I also got to meet Monte Morris, Jeff Zorn (who won some
hardware for his MGA), and of course Kelvin Dodd.  Even though I was
spending most of my time working for the event, getting to talk to these and
other MG folks made the whole thing worthwhile.  Hopefully they'll provide
their take on things when they get home and settled.