Re: V1 #1326

To: theklube@hotmail.com
Subject: Re: V1 #1326
From: ejrussell@mebtel.net
Date: Thu, 26 Jun 2003 11:48:00 -0400
> Date: Thu, 26 Jun 2003 06:43:37 -0400
> From: "John Graham" <theklube@hotmail.com>
> Subject: '70 B Carburetor heat shield
>
> In dis-assembling the carb and manifold setup recently, I pulled the
> carburetor heat shield for the first time and discovered that there was at
> one time, ASBESTOS on the back of it for insulation.  A good bit of that is
> gone or thinking about being gone.
>
> Is there any suitable replacement for this insulation now?
>
> John Graham
> 70 MGB
> Charlotte, NC

I just did this same task when swapping a set of SU HS4's into our 78 MGB. I
went to a local hardware store & found a sheet of material sold for protecting
walls from the heat of a wood stove. The smallest size I could buy was about 2'
x 3'. I used a piece of stiff paper to make a pattern and traced it onto the
material then cut it out on my bandsaw. It is quite easy to cut and could have
been cut by hand.

I then attached it to the metal shield with 3/16" 'pop' rivets & backing
washers.

If you'd like, I can cut off some of this stuff & send it to you. Sorry, I
didn't save the pattern so you'll have to make the final cuts yourself.

Eric
Mebane, NC