Re: backfiring

To: "MonteMorris" <mmorris@nemr.net>, "MG list" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: backfiring
From: Barney Gaylord <barneymg@MGAguru.com>
Date: Thu, 26 Jun 2003 22:39:50 -0500
At 09:24 PM 6/26/03 -0500, MonteMorris wrote:
>I know, I know; "If it ain't broke, don't fix it", but I did anyway:-(.
>.... I used the timing light and it showed about 25 degrees advanced, so I
>backed it off to 20 degrees. .... Now the car is running like sh*t! ....
>What should I check first?

First?  Maybe check to be sure the timing mark is in the right place on the
crankshaft pulley.  Remove #1 spark plug.  Use a small scredriver for a
feeler against the top of the piston.  Rotate engine slowly until #1 piston
is as close as possible to TDC.  With a wrench on the crankshaft you should
be able to get it at least within 2 degrees of zero (maybe closer) by feel
of the piston motion.  Then check to see if the timing mark is near the TDC
pointer.

Barney Gaylord
1958 MGA with an attitude
http://MGAguru.cojm