Re: MGB tire size help

To: MG List <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: MGB tire size help
From: Max Heim <mvheim@attbi.com>
Date: Fri, 27 Jun 2003 11:23:39 -0700
None of those tires sizes seem quite optimal. I assume you have the LE rims?
Has the car been lowered or the suspension otherwise upgraded?

I think you are going to find that contemporary performance tires are not
available in the sizes suited to MGBs. 60- and 65-series tires, in widths
that fit the rims, are going to be too small in diameter. While ground
clearance is not so much a problem with RBBs, the funky "rollerskate wheel"
look is, and then it also affects your speedo calibration.

The stock tire was a 165R14, roughly equivalent to a 165/78-14.

A common replacement is a 175R14, but you won't find either of these sizes
in "performance tires" -- these would mainly be replacement tires for older,
small European or Japanese sedans

A lot of people use 185/70-14, but even these are getting hard to find as
"performance tires" (as noted in the brands you listed).

But think of it this way -- standard econobox tires today are infinitely
superior to the tires the car was designed around in 1962, and vastly
superior to the OEM tires of 1980.

--

Max Heim
'66 MGB GHN3L76149