Distributor repair or replace

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Distributor repair or replace
From: "Henry D. Reynolds" <hdr@jump.net>
Date: Thu, 03 Jul 2003 16:34:24 -0500
hi y'all (long time lurker here)

"modified" 45D4
from APT $310. or should I attempt to sort out multiple problems with a 30 year
old dist
that needs... everything?

A day or two after returning from beautiful St. Louis. I notice a slight
mis-fire but just
when loading up the clutch below say 1500 rpm.

        BTW I had a marvelous time At MG2003. I am already looking forward to
MG2004.

I know that i replaced points, cap, condenser, and rotor as well as plugs,
wires as
recently as Spring of last year.

so upon removing and examining the points i discover that the ground strap on
the base
plate was hanging by the last thread of copper. one good look was all that was
required to
sever the last strand. :-(

some background: the car is a 1978 russet brown MGB converted to dual HIF4
carbs with AAB
needles. I am using a stock manifold and K&N filters and a maniflow LCB style
exhaust
header. The broken distributor is model (25D)41288 from an older MGB. It was
installed
when the electronic unit DNF some years ago. That is to say i used that
particular model
because it was in a box in my garage. I have done a little porting work
primarily between
the carb and manifold when i installed the carbs. i did a compression test in
May I got
between 170-175 PSI on each cylinder.

mean while back in the garage: I solder the lead back to the baseplate after i
discover
that moss has no part number for the base plate. No one in town has a decent
spare.... The
springs are worn, the shaft is loose this dist. only has 10 deg. total advance
built into
it. I believe it must have come from a car w/ an 8.8:1 engine. The vacuum unit
is designed
for ported not manifold vacuum. (FWIW my car gets less than 15 MPG on the
highway with the
vacuum unit disconnected and and close to 30 with it connected, again on the
highway and
the car seems to run slightly cooler at speed with vacuum connected. The
advance was set
to 35 deg at maximun advance with the  vacuum pipe disconnected)

Moss has a replacement distributor 45D4 for $240. APT has the 45D4 modified by
Aldon
automotive at $310.

I would like to install pertronix ignitor, but that may have to wait until
additional
funds are available.

anyone running either of these distributors? anyone run both?

Thanks in advance

--
"Alle Menschen werden Bruder"

  Henry D. Reynolds - System Administrator
     mail: hdr@jump.net - phone: 512.448.3617 - cell: 512.699.8658