Hot gearshift and tunnel

Subject: Hot gearshift and tunnel
From: "R. Martin Rogovein" <rmort@bezeqint.net>
Date: Sat, 5 Jul 2003 09:57:55 +0200
OK, gents, not sure if this is a problem or just an annoyance, but wanted to
ask.

Have been driving the B more lately, and have noticed that the metal part of
the gearshift, as well as the chrome ring around the shift boot get very hot
to the touch (almost enough to burn fingers) after about 30 minutes of
driving, especially at high speeds (ie 30 mins on the freeway).

I found info in the archives re. hot tranny tunnel (an 'undocumented
feature' rather than a problem), and I do feel some heat from the floors and
firewall, but not nearly as much as around the gearshift.

Background info: 1970 roadster, overdrive tranny (overdrive not working
yet), DPO custom (supposedly  freeflow) exhaust.
Heater disconnected (so that isn't the source), no engine overheating
problems, overdrive switch on dash (so it isn't electrical), gearshift and
synchros seem to work smoothly regardless of temperature.

So, the question is, does this point to some kind of problem (in the tranny
or elsewhere), or is it just heat radiating up from the exhaust?

RMartin
70 roadster
Tel Aviv (where it's hot enough already without being cooked by my car!)
A person needs only three tools: WD-40, duct tape,
and a BFH (Big F****** Hammer).
If it doesn't move and it should, use WD-40.
If it moves and it shouldn't, use the tape.
If it doesn't work, hit it with the hammer.
If it breaks, it needed replacing anyway.