Another sort of automotive related project

To: mgs@autox.team.net, british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Another sort of automotive related project
From: Larry Colen <lrcar@red4est.com>
Date: Mon, 14 Jul 2003 01:24:57 -0700
Many years ago I had written up some lecture notes to use when I
taught performance driving. I thought some other instructors might
find them useful so I offered them to the guy running the school to
share with the other instructors. Jerry liked them enough that he
asked me to turn them into a book for NASA (the National Auto Sport
Association)  to use as a text book.  It's been about eight years
since the last version and I'm finally working seriously on the next
revision.

The target audience is people who are interested in improving their
driving abilities and who are planning on taking a "Performance
Driving School". The secondary audience is people who put on, or teach
at those schools.

I'm soliciting help with the project. One thing that I need is for
people who don't already have a lot of experience to read it, and let
me know where they are lost, and what needs to be explained more. Or,
what needs less explanation.

I would also like the assistance of folks who do know what they are
doing to catch any major technical mistakes (I think that I've got
them pretty well ironed out, but they still sneak in).

Since these lists are, by definition, people who are interested in
cars, usually sports cars, many of you either have, or would like to
have, track experience. So while this post isn't specifically about
LBC's it does directly relate to what a bunch of use our LBCs for.

There are also a couple of sections that I'm adding new to this
version. One is on teaching performance driving. Another is improving
after the first few weekends, primarily how to analyze your driving,
to find and fix your mistakes. These sections are very difficult to
write, because there isn't already a commonly accepted set of
techniques as there is for choosing lines, managing weight transfer
and all of the other things that every book on the subject discusses,
just using slightly different words and pictures.

There is another short section that I'd like to add, but it's even
tougher than the others, and that is one on the differences (if any)
between teaching male and female students. If anyone on these lists
has any experience, on either side of that issue, and would like to
share their thoughts with me, I'd appreciate it.

I've got my current working version up on my webpage. I don't have, or
want, any public links to it. It's not ready for general release and
all that. If you'd like to read it and send me your thoughts and
suggestions on it, let me know and I will send you the URL.

I've also set up a mailing list where I can announce major milestones,
updates, new chapters, new artwork and such. Let me know if you'd like
to be on it and I can add you to that as well.

   Larry

--
                   Girling is not a verb.