That black panel between dashboard and windshield

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: That black panel between dashboard and windshield
From: ATWEDITOR@aol.com
Date: Mon, 14 Jul 2003 15:10:06 EDT
In the 1968-on MGB there is a flat back panel between the forward top of the
dashboard and the windshield where the vents for the defrosters are located.
It is covered, apparently in my car, by black paper that has reached the end
of its life as solid matter. It looks REAL BAD.  But unless I have my
windshield removed, there is no easy way to get in there and measure/trace a
template
to make a replacement.
So two questions:  Has anyone seen such a replacement strip offered for sale,
and before I try prying them out and risk damaging that area even more, is
there anything holding the defroster vents in place?

Jay Donoghue
72B-GT
66 Mustang