Re: up in smoke - was Re: in-line fuse

To: "David Councill" <dcouncil@imt.net>, <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: up in smoke - was Re: in-line fuse
From: "Telewest \(PH\)" <paul.hunt1@blueyonder.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 15 Jul 2003 09:58:59 +0100
Whites, like browns (with one exception), are unfused.  The exception is
that there is an inline fuse for the hazard flasher that has brown wires
both sides.

Which car?  A 67 tin dash would have three whites at the tach - the 12v
supply and the trigger wire that loops round the pickup and goes onwards to
the coil.  68 models and later had a green (fused!) wire feeding 12v to the
tach, and it wasn't until the tach changed from current triggered to voltage
triggered for the 73 model year that the other two whites were done away
with, going direct from the ignition switch to the coil rather than looping
via the tach.

It is unlikely to be a problem with the harness itself, the white would have
to be shorted to a black (ground) to cause the problem.  It is more likely
that a connector or terminal on the white has moved or fallen off and
touched exposed metal.  It is also possible that a component shorted out
internally, but as the engine and tach worked OK probably not.  You will
have to follow the melted white and see where it goes.  Where the burning
stops is where the problem is.

If you turned off quickly enough you may have avoided melting wires in the
loom adjacent to the white, in which case cutting out the burned white and
replacing it, then re-wrapping the loom, should be a perfectly acceptable
repair.