Re: Front hub with spacer, no shims, and endplay

To: "James Feyrer" <james.feyrer@Dartmouth.EDU>, <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Front hub with spacer, no shims, and endplay
From: "Telewest \(PH\)" <paul.hunt1@blueyonder.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 15 Jul 2003 09:18:22 +0100
It's not possible to say from here how much to take off because we don't
know how much play you have without shims!  But then, neither can I say how
long the spacer should be, which I suspect is what you really wanted to
know.  From memory my hubs have about 15 to 20 thou of shims, if that is any
help.  It would be a good idea to compare the length of your spacers,
bearing thicknesses, hub recesses between the sides, if only one side has
this problem and the other is OK.  Even if that indicates the spacer *is*
the problem personally I would choose to replace it rather than reducing it,
and if the spacers were the same length I definitely would not reduce it but
keep looking for the real problem.