Re: If you were designing your ultimate toolbox for the trunk..

Subject: Re: If you were designing your ultimate toolbox for the trunk..
From: Aaron Whiteman <aaronw@wsu.edu>
Date: Thu, 17 Jul 2003 15:10:54 -0700
On Thursday, July 17, 2003, at 11:23  AM, Chuck Renner wrote:

> That's certainly an option as well.  I'd like to know how the $2500
> figure over 10 years for the cell phone was calculated though....

Easy.

My phone costs me $70/month (I admit that 9-state no-roam
no-long-distance coverage is not appropriate for emergency-only use).

$70 * 12 = $840 / year.
$840 * 10 = $8400 (quite a bit more than $2500!)

$2500 over 10 years is a little over $20/month.

If you have a phone, there is no harm in carrying it.  If not, don't
bother--spend your money to make the car more reliable (and reduce the
need) instead.  The only time I've had breakdowns is when I knew there
was a problem and ignored it.

I swear, these cars KNOW when you don't trust them, and they WILL break
down if they sense you are worried about it.  If you know the car is
maintained well, you can be pretty confident that it won't break down,
and sure enough... It doesn't.

--
Aaron Whiteman
'75 B (my first and only car)