MGC Adventures

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: MGC Adventures
From: WSpohn4@aol.com
Date: Sun, 20 Jul 2003 15:23:50 EDT
Went out to get SWMBO's MGC convertible yesterday.

Haven't been racing for a couple of years, so the old equipe isn't at the
highly tuned state of readiness that it should be - the Scuba tank I've been
using to fill tires for the last 25 years hasn't had it' visual inspection, and
was almost empty, having just enough whoof to fill the spare tire for the
trailer after the one that was on it failed to hold air. Should have replaced
the
tires, of course, or at least had the spare repaired.

Got out to the place that I store the cars I have no room for at home (80 km
away), and loaded the trailer after giving SWMBO (who also serves as chief pit
crew/timer and dogsbody) a refresher course in loading cars - I use a boat
winch with braided wire cable and she steers them on.

Filled the spare tire on the trailer when we noticed it was low and pulled
over to check it a couple of times on the way, and drove with a little less
'brio' than usual, in case it deflated on the way (it didn't).

Managed to back over the neighbour's newly planted fern at the top of the
driveway (it was pathetic and dying anyway, and besides, it's a stupid place to
put a fern), but backing down was otherwise uneventful.

Blocked the trailer and removed the straps and went over unloading practice
with SWMBO (e.g. don't use yourself as a wheel-chock if the car starts to get
away from you, don't stand behind the car on a hill etc.).  With the car half
way off the trailer, the bloody cable snapped (I use braided wire, replaced
every few years to maintain strength - guess it hadn't been replaced recently
enough), and to the accompaniment of shouted warnings to other half alternated
with epithets aimed at trailer, car, and cable, watched the car roll back down
drive, snap off a 4 x 4 fence post, projecting the fence itself onto valued
plantings, and resulting in a fairly well bent rear bumper, skewed bumperette,
and not too big dent in the rear of the trunk compartment.

Only good thing was that it flattened SWMBOs big black plastic compost bin -
always hated that thing anyway - yuppie rat attracter!

So for the first time in quite awhile, I find myself working on a car instead
of in the garden. Well, searching for tools AND working on the car. Got the
clutch master and slave rebuilt, and have sent SWMBO out to get gas so we can
see if there is fire in the old girl yet (the MGC, not SWMBO).

Oh yes - must get around to rebuilding the fence, too.

Bill S.