Re: new paint

To: MonteMorris <mmorris@nemr.net>
Subject: Re: new paint
From: Rocky Frisco <rock@rocky-frisco.com>
Date: Tue, 22 Jul 2003 03:17:18 -0500
MonteMorris wrote:

> Can you wash a car that has just been painted? If not, how long should you
> wait? What about waxing?

The following is my father's stated wisdom (or not), since I really
don't know diddly about painting cars. I can prepare and mask them like
a pro, but the shooting is something I haven't practised enough to be
skillful. Pop always used to like to shoot (outdoors) on a dead calm,
non-dusty day, out from under all of the trees, in an area where he
could keep the cats and squirrels out and scare off the birds.  ;)

I have seen him do this little trick a number of times: he would spray a
gentle sort of rain (water, from the hose-pipe) on the new paint a few
hours after it had dried to where you could touch it and not leave any
mark or evidence you had done so. If it started to rain gently, he would
celebrate the fact that he wouldn't have to water-spray it himself. If I
recall correctly, the consensus was that the old-timers had noticed that
when a new paint job got gently rained on soon after it dried, it just
lasted longer and resisted damage better.

This was both with lacquer and enamel, if I remember correctly. Dad
liked to shoot enamel, and really did it well, only rarely getting runs
or orange-peel. When I was still running around in my underpants, at age
about four, he totally stripped all of the paint off a friend's classic
woody convertible and prepped it and painted it in a glowing maroon
color, using about 12 coats of hand-rubbed lacquer. Everybody rubbed
that car; I swear it. Even little toddler me. The neighbors and the car
owner's friends and Pop's friends. They were like Tom Sawyer with a
fence; they were having so much fun, everybody wanted some.   ;)

Those really were the days.

-Rock     http://www.rocky-frisco.com
--
"JJ Cale Live" CD & Video: http://www.rocky-frisco.com/calelive.htm