MGB Compression Readings

To: <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: MGB Compression Readings
From: "Richard Lang" <rhlang@mindspring.com>
Date: Tue, 22 Jul 2003 20:21:40 -0400
I have a 1978 MGB with a 1972 engine (18V584Z-L909).  The engine has some
modifications from the stock 1972, such as HS4 carbs.  I am not sure if the
head is original to the engine.  I am getting ready to change the rocker arm
assembly, so I took a set of compression readings.  They are: #1 - 132, #2 -
128, #3 - 127 and #4 - 100.  I took the #4 reading several times and it was
consistent.  My engine uses about 1 quart of oil every 500 to 600 miles.  The
exhaust does not look like the oil is burning.  The back of the engine is
usually wet with oil, and it appears to be comming out between the head and
the block.  Does this sound like a bad head gasket or maybe just a need for
retorquing???  Please give me a diagnosis.

Dick Lang
K1DL
1978 MGB