Re: MGA - steering column felt bushes

To: "Rick deOlazarra" <cattail@redshift.com>, <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: MGA - steering column felt bushes
From: Barney Gaylord <barneymg@MGAguru.com>
Date: Tue, 22 Jul 2003 22:27:49 -0500
At 05:18 PM 7/22/03 -0700, Rick deOlazarra wrote:
>  It's an MGA - .... play in the steering wheel from worn felt bushes. ....
>.... If anyone's done this job and has figured a way to get those bushes
>compressed around the steering shaft enough to clear the space between the
>shaft and the outer tube while re-introducing the shaft back into the
>outer tube, I'd sure like to hear it.

Waving hand here.  BTDT.  It's a vintage (well seasoned) problem.

I last did mine in 1986, about 183,000 miles ago, but I'm about to do it
again, new parts from Moss Motors already in hand.  I have the same
observation now as 17 years ago, that the felt material is too thick for
both bushings.  Some things never change.  Are you listening Kelvin?

My solution was to tack one end of the felt strip down on the wooden
workbench, then go at it very gently with a wire wheel in an electric drill
to remove some fluff from the surface of the felt to thin it out a bit.  I
seem to recall taking a couple of light passes with trial and try again
technique to sneak up on it a bit at a time to avoid going too thin.

The whole process took maybe a half hour and resulted in a fit that was
tight enough to be difficult to turn with the wrist but very easy to turn
with the steering wheel.  Put the felt pieces in the tube first, then push
the shaft through.  I oiled the felt just a little during assembly, then
soaked the felt in oil after assembly.

I think it went more than 100,000 miles in 12 years miles before noticing a
little play again.  I've been tollerating it for the past 5 years as it's
getting a little looser, but it's time now for the fix again.  Maybe I'll
get poictures this time around and post it on line.  You're not the first
to inquire.

Barney Gaylord
1958 MGA with an attitude
http://MGAguru.com