MGA - Steering column felt bushes update

To: <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: MGA - Steering column felt bushes update
From: "Rick deOlazarra" <cattail@redshift.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Jul 2003 15:24:35 -0700
 Info that may be helpful to anyone replacing the felt bushes supporting the
steering shaft within the MGA steering tube (column).
 Turns out that the thickness of the felt bushes from Moss worked out ok in
the end. The lower felt bush (there're two; upper & lower - the lower being
the smaller of the two) - anyway, the lower is just a little bit longer,
laid out flat, than the original, and the extra length needed to be trimmed
away w/ a razor, using the original as a template.This solved that problem,
and now the lower bush fits perfectly into the lower end of the outer tube.
 The other problem was the difficulty in turning the steering wheel after
re-assembling the steering  shaft  into the outer tube with the new bushes
installed.  Waiting a day, and then checking for ease of turning helped a
little, because, I suppose, the felt bushes had compressed down in that
time. However, it was still very hard to turn.  Turns out that the kind of
lubricant used to soak the felt bushes was the answer to this problem.
Manual spec (graphite oil) I couldn't locate. I tried liquid lock lubricant
w/ graphite; didn't work...  20W oil didn't work... penetrating oil didn't
work.  What worked, and worked beautifully, was a product you can pick up at
your local General Motors parts counter. It's called General Purpose
Penetrant and Heat Valve Lubricant (1#1052627). It's loaded with graphite. I
had to take out the bushes and soak them in this stuff and then re-assemble.
Incredible difference. It now turns the way one would expect it to in a new
car showroom.
 I bought a can of this lubricant many years ago on the advise of a mechanic
for freeing corroded, rusted parts and it works miracles. I use it as a last
resort out of fear of running out of it. GM may - or may not - carry it
anymore. Don't forget; you gotta shake the can first. The lubricant, that
is. :)

-Rick