MGB Starting Problem

To: <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: MGB Starting Problem
From: "House of Windsor Galleries" <artforu@earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 25 Jul 2003 13:06:58 -0700
I have an interesting problem with my 1977 B that actually has me stumped,
even after owning several of these cars over many years. The car is a
California car with 68,000 miles that appear to be genuine, and I have owned
it for three years.

Coming home late one night recently she went to three cylinders. I drove the
short distance home, and did the usual checks, including pulling off the
plug leads one by one etc. to no avail. I discovered that the distributor
could be moved in the clamp, and on removing it, discovered that the body
where the clamp locates, was cracked. (At some point the PO had replaced the
electronic ignition with a Lucas 25D4 unit, and then fitted Pertronix
ignition. The arrangement has worked just fine up to this point so I had
left well alone) Anyway, I decided to replace the distributor with a new
45D4 from Victoria British as Moss were out of stock (sorry Kelvin).

On reassembly I noticed that the distributor drive shaft was 180 degrees
out. The larger segment was below the centerline, not on top where it should
be. The 25D4 had been at an unusual angle, now I knew why. I then discovered
the cause of the original misfire. When I removed the rocker box cover to
ensure the timing was setup correctly, I discovered a bent pushrod that had
popped out from under the rocker arm.  I replaced that, checked all the
rocker tolerances, and then static timed the engine to 7 degrees BTDC.
Double-checked everything, and went to start her up. Nothing.

I have checked everything at least twice, sparks at the plugs, compression
check (close to 150 psi on every cylinder), timing, and still not a murmur.

Any ideas, anyone?  I am scratching my head in vain here

Barry Waterland
Duarte, CA