RE: [Fwd: Re: MGB Tire Size]

To: "'David Councill'" <dcouncil@imt.net>, Paul Root <proot@iaces.com>,
Subject: RE: [Fwd: Re: MGB Tire Size]
From: "Dodd, Kelvin" <doddk@mossmotors.com>
Date: Fri, 25 Jul 2003 17:05:59 -0700
David:

The original aspect ratio for the 155SR and 165SR tires was 78.  This was
the standard ratio before 70, 60 and 50 series low profile tires became
popular.

> I think the question is what the actual tire aspect ratio was
> on the 155
> and 165R14 tires. I've seen "78" quoted on the list at least
> once for the
> 165R14 but I still have doubts if that is correct..

> My original response to this thread was to use 175/70R14s.
> That was based
> on visual observation. A local tire store, one that can
> handle wire wheels
> (most tire places panic), suggested I go with 170/65 as the
> closest match.
> I used those on my 67BGT to replace the old 165s and they are
> a bit smaller
> on the height. My 72B uses 175/75R14s (came with the car) and
> they appear
> to be a bit larger, thus my guess of a 175/70. I'm not sure
> if I still have
> any 165s lying around to put side by side again to absolutely
> confirm that.

I tend to agree the 175/70 seems like the best compromise for the stock 4.5"
wide wire wheels.

See it in print next quarter.  I've been asked to write a piece on tire
sizing.

Kelvin.