Re: A snake?

To: h.duinhoven@planet.nl
Subject: Re: A snake?
From: Bob Howard <mgbob@juno.com>
Date: Tue, 29 Jul 2003 17:57:57 -0400
Hans,
  Yes, it can be done, and it takes only half a day, one set of bearings
and a sump gasket. You might need new rod bolts if this has been done
before and the bolts have stretched.  Some replace the oil pump when
replacing bearings.
  One jacks the car up high and puts stands under.  Drain the oil. Then
lift the gearbox slightly with a jack to make accessible the front sump
bolts.  Remove the sump.
  Now mark the connecting rod cap.  These must be returned to the same
connecting rod and they must face the same direction (front must be
front) ,and undo the bolts securing the connecting rod 'cap'.  As you
remove the caps keep them in order.
  Push out the bearing shell from the cap; push out the bearing shell
from the connecting rod.   Read the marks on the back side.  There will
be nothing or 'std' if standard size, 010, 020 etc if underside.
Replace with the same size.
   Refit the shell into cap and rod, apply a good squirt of oil to the
bearing faces (or use assembly lubricant) , reassemble with bolts, torque
to specs.  Turn the engine. It should turn smoothly as before.  If it
does not, the bearing is pinched or is wrong size, so disassemble and
check again.  Do the other rods as you did the first one.
  Replace the pan, refill with oil. Treat as an engine with new bearings.
Bob