Re: Ignition Light

To: "William T Snyder" <wtsnyder@juno.com>, <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Ignition Light
From: "Telewest \(PH\)" <paul.hunt1@blueyonder.co.uk>
Date: Sat, 2 Aug 2003 15:43:32 +0100
As others have said check the voltage at the brown at the fusebox, it should
be about 14.5v at a fast idle and minimal electrical load.  It is not easy
to check it is delivering max current without supplying sufficient load, and
even with everything on you may not get up to 34amps, even if you have an
instrument capable of measuring it.  The Workshop Manual describes bypassing
the voltage regulator and measuring the maximum current, but this only works
by putting a large over-voltage into the battery and is something I would
not do.  Another test involves connecting a large variable resistance across
the battery, but how many of us have got a 1 ohm, 500 watt variable resistor
kicking about?

A 72 should have two browns at the solenoid - one from the alternator and
one feeding the ignition switch, fusebox etc.  If you only have one I
suspect a PO had a short and a loom fire, and bypassed the burnt wire making
connections elsewhere.  I'd check out where those are, and make sure they
are sound.  A bad connection between the alternator and the solenoid will
limit the charging current.  This can be detected by measuring the voltage
as described above, but at the thick brown at the alternator as well as the
fusebox and solenoid.  All three voltages should be the same to within a
tenth of a volt or so.

The gearbox loom runs between the reverse light and overdrive lockout
switches, and the main and rear looms near the back of the right-hand inner
wing.  Fused ignition voltage is fed from the green in the main loom to the
green in the gearbox loom, and comes back on a green/brown.  This connects
to a green/brown in the rear loom to the lights.