Re: Aftermarket fenders

To: "Al Dufault" <adufault@nycap.rr.com>
Subject: Re: Aftermarket fenders
From: David Councill <dcouncil@imt.net>
Date: Sun, 03 Aug 2003 11:35:47 -0600
The key word is "fit". The steel fenders offered by Proper MG are likely
the exact same fenders offered by Moss, TRF, and other distributers. I have
bought two aftermarket ("repro") steel fenders. There are some differences
in fit. The one for my 71BGT was a close fit. But that was about 15 years ago.

More recently, an aftermarket unit that I got for my 72B, turned out to be
a very poor fit. I got if from "redqueen" but it still had the same
aftermarket sticker my patch panels had. IThe fender is on the 72B after a
body shop had to work it into a fit but the one headlight is still slightly
lower in the fitting than the other side.

In short, fit is everything. Either buy the expensive steel fender (not the
"repro" model) or if Smoothline guarantees it, buy theirs.
Keep in mind too that shipping is a problem. It likely will have to be by
truck due to the size and that makes for expensive shipping so you want it
right the first time.

David Councill
67 BGT
72 B