Re: Gave up trying to remove calipers

To: "Bob D." <bobmgtd@insightbb.com>
Subject: Re: Gave up trying to remove calipers
From: Bullwinkle <yd3@nvc.net>
Date: Sun, 10 Aug 2003 00:00:55 -0500
<<<Snip>>>
I started with the proper size wrench, but all it did was strip the hex.
<<<Snip>>>

Did you use a flare nut wrench?

<<<Snip>>>
This has probably been beaten to death all ready, but is DOT4 brake
fluid the same stuff referred to as Lockheed or Girling?
<<<snip>>>
AFAIK  yes  I have a letter someplace from Castrol that says their GT
LMA (DOT 4) is approved by Girling.

<<<Snip>>>
Can I safely use any fluid marked DOT4?
<<<snip>>>
I have, but what I used may not be the same brand as what you use.

<<<Snip>>>
How about the brands that claim to be both DOT3 and DOT4?
<<<Snip>>>
AFAIK, the main difference between the two is moisture absorbing.  DOT 4
absorbs less.  So, naturally the newer DOT 4 is usable where DOT 3 was
specified years ago when there wasn't any DOT 4.

Blake
Blake