MGB Brakes - Dual System, Non- Boosted Master Cylinder Orifice

To: "'mgs@autox.team.net'" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: MGB Brakes - Dual System, Non- Boosted Master Cylinder Orifice
From: "Christian, Skip" <ChristianWL@navair.navy.mil>
Date: Mon, 11 Aug 2003 08:30:06 -0400
Group,

        Incase anyone is unaware.
        The replacement Lockheed master cylinder I recently purchased did
not come with the banjo fitting.  When transferring the banjo fitting, you
must remove the white plastic metering orifice (with attached spring) from
the old master cylinder and transfer it to the new one.  The brakes work
fine without this piece (haven't tried locking them up, yet) but the pedal
feel, when the brakes are initially applied, is different.  Remember to do
this - if you don't, the master cylinder has to be removed to get the banjo
bolt out.  Also, the master cylinder did not come with new washers (2
required) for the banjo fitting.
        I need to "unstick" the brake warning valve (separate valve on my
year) on my MG.  I'm thinking about removing, disassembling, and cleaning
the valve.  Should I do this or just stick a screwdriver (or something else)
in it and try to move the piston (with the front & rear bleeders loose) ???

Thanks In Advance,  Skip
'74 MGB