Coil question

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Coil question
From: Menno.Meijer@ict.nl
Date: Tue, 12 Aug 2003 10:36:12 +0200
Dear list,

Armed with a couple of articles about "Ignition System Trouble Shooting"
I started measuring yesterday evening.

As a result of these measurements I've got 2 questions:

- Where can I find the second terminal of the secondary winding? One
  terminal of the secondray winding is connected to the high tension lead
  which goes to the distributor. Is the "ground" side of the secondary
  winding the outside of the coil? (If that's the case, this might be my
  problem. I measure infinite resistance between the high tension output
  and the outside of the coil. Which could indicate that my secondary
  winding is broken)

My second question has got to do with Les Bengtson's article: http://www.
custompistols.com/cars/articles/ignition.htm. In this article he writes
at some point: "The next test is to use the volt meter to read the voltage
coming from the coil with the ignition switch on. This should be between 6
and 9 volts, depending on model of coil. If it more than this, the coil is
shorted internally"

- Unfortunatly I can't find the "preconditions" for this test. Should I
  disconnect the CB (Contact Breaker) cable? Should the points be open or
  closed?
- The voltage on the "input" terminal of the primary winding is approx.
  12V in case I switch ignition on. (This seems to be correct)
- The voltage on the "output" terminal of the primary winding depends on
  the "preconditions" mentioned above.
    - If contact breaker closed the voltage is low, almost zero.
    - If contact breaker is open or disconnected the voltage is high,
      almost 12V.
  Compared to the schematics on "http://www.mgbexperience.com/electrical/
  htelec_101.html" this seems to be correct but it contradicts with the 6
  to 9 Volts mentioned in Les Bengtsons article.

Hope somebody can help...

Specs: '63 MGB, negative ground

Thanks in advance,

Menno Meijer

----------------
This E-mail message, including any attached documentation, is
confidential. Should you have received this message wrongly, you are
urged to inform the sender at "disclaimer@ICT.nl" and remove the message
from your system. Any unauthorised dissemination of the information, in
whole or in part, is prohibited. E-mail messages can be subject to
change. ICT Automatisering NV and its subsidiaries cannot be held
responsible for incorrect, incomplete and/or delayed transfer of
messages and possible damage caused by this. Although ICT Automatisering
NV (including its subsidiaries) makes every effort to send messages free
of viruses by using a viruschecker, ICT Automatisering NV (or its
subsidiaries) cannot guarantee that the message and any attachments are
actually completely virus free.