Re: Why buy and MGC?

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Why buy and MGC?
From: WSpohn4@aol.com
Date: Thu, 14 Aug 2003 09:36:14 EDT
In a message dated 8/14/03 6:22:01 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
owner-mgs-digest@autox.team.net writes:

> The pity is that the Austin Healey 6 has a lot more power than the C, and
> handles better. With Donald and Geoff Healey to fight BMC's crazy ideas, the
> car is a better sports car than any C will ever b.

I disagree.

First, the Healey put out 150 bhp. The MGC puts out 145 bhp, and it uses twin
1 3/4" carbs instead of twin 2" carbs - no big surprise. The engine also has
additional main bearings which may add a little friction, but the big Healey
was never a ready-revving engine in the first place.

As to handling, the suspension on the MGC is far superior to the Healey - a
rear end that goes under the frame instead of on top, as all but the Phase 3
Healeys did, prevents premature rear wheel lift in corners. The torsion bar
front end is miles ahead of the old Austin sedan, Armstrong shock front end of
the
Healey, and only the poor choice of front sway bar fails to allow it to
demonstrate this in stock form. Put the right sway bar in and it is no contest.

Remember that the big Healey was never a Sprite in the old days - anyone that
has ever tried to slalom one knows what I mean. Grand touring was always
their strength.

What the Healey does have going for it is styling, but technically, the MGC
is the better car.

Bill