Re: MGC Engine rebuild in NE

Subject: Re: MGC Engine rebuild in NE
From: Bill <wbmcleod@cox.net>
Date: Sun, 17 Aug 2003 07:32:08 -0700
I would not be so anxious to spend your money!  Condensation rust in a
cylinder can be a mighty force for the status quo, so to speak, and yet
be a relatively small  problem.  If you can do a couple of other tricks,
you may save yourself a lot of money.  #1:  Take your air hose with a
blower attached and rig a seal for  your spark plug hole.  Picking a
cylinder which is partway down, start bumping the piston with sudden
jets of air.  Do this on different cylinders, and multiple times (it
gets boring!) and if you have a friend to put pressure on your brand new
1/2" breaker bar, use that pressure as well.  By the way, if the breaker
bar broke, it was defective, I think.  It should handle the weight of a
small person standing on it......
Oh well, on to #2:  If all else fails, remove the head, clean the
corroded cylinder walls with a cylinder hone in your electric drill,
just enough to remove the accumulated junk, and then tap (make that
SLAM!) a vertical block of wood large enough to pretty well go clear
across the top of the piston (spreading the point of impact) with a BF
Hammer (kinda like driving a stake.... Pretend your engine is powered by
vampires!).  Once you have any vertical travel at all, clean the
cylinders wall sections that become exposed and oil them lightly, and
tap some more.  As you clean and tap, clean and tap, the movement will
become easier and easier.  When you have free travel, the oil on the
walls will give you a good indication whether you have broken any rings;
you can also visually check to see if the bores are pitted, worn, etc.,
and then you can take your head down to get it checked....
Good luck,
Bill McLeod
Slightly Classics
Tucson, AZ