Re: Rest free MGB clutch

To: "Jp Plank" <moonshine327@juno.com>, <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Rest free MGB clutch
From: "Telewest \(PH\)" <paul.hunt1@blueyonder.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 21 Aug 2003 09:45:00 +0100
IME an oil soaked clutch grabs instead of a smooth take-up.  A clutch that
slips and only engages at the top of its travel is worn out.  But just
possibly something *is* stopping it from fully engaging.  If you can
manually push the slave piston further into its cylinder (watch you don't
push excess fluid out of the master) with the pedal released the problem
isn't hydraulic, which means an engine-out job, at which point *not* fitting
a new clutch would be a false economy.

BTW, one of the motoring programmes on TV in the UK at the moment has a
feature on the Gumball Rally from San Fran to Miami.  The reporter is in an
Elise and had a problem in Death Valley.  He described the problem variously
as "can't get any gears" and "I only have 4th gear".  Took it to a garage
somewhere and drove it up on the ramp, at which point the mechanic said "I
smell clutch" and diagnosed a failed clutch.  He checked the gearbox oil for
particles and it was clean.  What would your diagnosis be?