Re: Virus from list member?

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Virus from list member?
From: Eric <eric@erickson.on.net>
Date: Thu, 21 Aug 2003 23:19:01 +1030
Barrie Robinson wrote:

> I am on the 'list' but have not had one SoBig virus. (YET!!!!) Blaster &
> Bugbear yes but no SoBig.

Well, I work for a medium sized ISP here in Australia and this bug seems
to enjoy spoofing our HelpDesk (support@) address onto lots of mail -
and not only that but it is sending to support@anotherdomain.com.

So we are getting mail rejections (there was a virus detected in your
mail) and support tickets from all over the world.

To date we are avergaing just over 1,000 per day for the past three days
and it is getting worse.  As the head of the HelpDesk mob, I get a copy
of each of those items in my mailbox - I spend ages just deleting all
this rubbish but have to be careful not to kill a genuine request for support.

Because of the altered headers that come back from the other ISPs it is
really hard to filter against.  Most insert their own subject line like
- "you sent us a darn virus" - or "your helpdesk ticket is #55512345" -
so what do you try to filter on?

Very annoying.

We have also dedicated one person to hunting down our customers with the
bug/s and spend ages contac6ting them (lots and lots of them) telling
them how to clean up their act.  General bulletins get ignored <sigh>

Lots of fun!

--
Eric
'68MGB MkII

"Nothing overshadows truth so completely as authority"
ALBERTI