Additive/Subtractive Color (Was: Re: LEERT quick 1st draft

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Additive/Subtractive Color (Was: Re: LEERT quick 1st draft
From: "David Breneman" <idcb@airborne.com>
Date: Thu, 21 Aug 2003 10:27:25 -0700 (PDT)
Stephen West-Fisher SEZ -
> Paul M. wrote:
> > [unattributed]

> >>That's not a color, but the absence of ALL colors.
> >
> > I always thought it was the PRESENCE of all colors...
>
> Nope, that's white.

It depends on whether you're using an additive or subtractive color
system.  With a subtractive system, colors are printed or mixed on
top of each other, and each successive layer acts as a filter to
block the color(s) below it.  This is the type of system used in
lithography or mixing paint.  The subtractive primary colors are
yellow, magenta and cyan.  The equal presence of all three colors
yields black.

With an additive system, the colors are combined simultaneously as
light sources, such as the color dots on a computer monitor, or
colored spotlights projected at the same target.  The additive
primary colors are green, blue and red.  The equal presence of all
three colors yields white.

--
David Breneman                     | "I don't care to belong to a club
Distributed Systems S/W Analyst    |  that accepts people like me