REALLY Old LBC

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: REALLY Old LBC
From: WSpohn4@aol.com
Date: Mon, 25 Aug 2003 11:50:59 EDT
I thought you guys would get a kick out of this.

I dropped something off at the shop where I get the Lamborghini serviced
(yes, I _could_ do it myself, but the learning curve can be steeper and the
bumps
on that road more expensive than would be the case with a more conventional
beast).

What should I see there but a 1913 Wolseley. It had acetylene headlamps with
a brass plated 'gas' tank where the gas supply is produced on the
running-board. But what it also had was a couple of kerosene powered 'driving'
lights -
lovely brass Lucas 'King of the Road' items.

I expect that the Lucas items, mounted near the scuttle, are original
(amazingly, a Lucas light that cannot short-circuit!), but wonder if the
American
made acetylene items are early (VERY early) after-market items?

A 4 cylinder engine, with a brass up-draught SU carb (perhaps one of the
first?), and a redline of around 1000 rpm.

The 'instrumentation' consists of a fuel pressure gauge and a sight glass so
that you can see if there is any oil dripping - if not, you have run out and
better refill!

The brakes are driveshaft mounted and the external flywheel looks heavy
enough to take it up a steep hill _after_ you turn the engine off. The driver's
seat is a bench that looks like it is out of a buckboard - did I hear lumbar
support?

Neat old beast!

Bill