Re: speedo error ? 1978 MGB

To: MG List <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: speedo error ? 1978 MGB
From: Max Heim <mvheim@studiolimage.com>
Date: Tue, 26 Aug 2003 11:48:29 -0700
on 8/25/03 7:18 PM, Eric J Russell at ejrussell@mebtel.net wrote:

> The speedometer on our 1978 MGB is about 15 mph optimistic (indicated
> 60 mph is about 45 mph per GPS).
>
> It does have non standard tires ( 185 70 R14 ) but I was wondering if
> the angle drive that *should* be on the back of the speedometer is
> part of the error.
>
> i.e. is the angle drive on the back of the speedo other than a 1:1
> drive?

No, it's 1:1.

> Also, the gearbox is possibly from an earlier model. Are the speedo
> drive pinions (Moss # 462-600 'thru '74 vs. # 462-605 1975 on ) a
> source of speedo error in our '78 MGB?

This is probably your problem. The pinion and the speedo need to be matched.
Tires should be factored in as well, but there are some combinations that
cannot be perfectly resolved. There is a link to a speedo chart on this
site: <http://www.mgbexperience.com/>. You will need to determine the actual
origin of your tranny to use it.

--

Max Heim