Peeing water pump...

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Peeing water pump...
From: ckotting@wideopenwest.com
Date: Sun, 31 Aug 2003 11:54:14 -0500
Took our Magentte on its first "long" trip (150 miles to
visit family) on a recently rebuilt engine (about 800 miles
since rebuild before the trip).  Oil changed and head
retorqued at 500 miles after rebuild.  No problems, good
power, no overheating, even pulling some fairly long hills.
(The Magnette engine is a 1500 MGA engine, with an MGB head
fitted per Barney Gaylord's web page on using a B head on an
A block.)

However, on arriving in Cleveland, we discover that the car
is peeing coolant.  Bad words are spoken.

After some fiddling and checking, it gets curiouser and
curiouser.  The coolant is coming out the weep hole in the
new Moss-supplied water pump (more unpleasant words).
However, it only "pees" at idle.  Above about 1000 RPM, it
doesn't loose a drop.

Any thoughts on what is going on here, and how I should
proceeed once we get home?

Chris K.