Re: heater rewiring

To: MG List <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: heater rewiring
From: Max Heim <mvheim@studiolimage.com>
Date: Mon, 01 Sep 2003 15:58:14 -0700
on 9/1/03 2:33 PM, MonteMorris at mmorris@nemr.net wrote:

> Sometime in the last year someone posted a fix for poor heater output by
> rewiring it with heavier wire and (I believe) installing a relay. I've
> searched the archives and lister's websites but can't find it.
> Could someone point me in the right direction? I still have the dash off the
> 79, so thought that now would be the time to do this fix.
> Thanks,
> Monte

Hard to believe that running the fan motor faster would improve the heater
effectiveness. It would just blow more lukewarm air, IMO. At speed the fan
isn't contributing much, anyway. What you really need to do is raise the
temperature of the heat source. Your options there include running a higher
temp thermostat, blocking off (part of) the radiator and/or oil cooler, and
improvng the flow through the heater valve, either by adjusting the cable
(to ensure it opens all the way), or performing the operation discussed here
recently (rebuilding the heater valve to increase flow).

--

Max Heim
'66 MGB GHN3L76149