head retorquing question

To: <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: head retorquing question
From: "DON SCOTT" <rowdon@sonoma-county.org>
Date: Tue, 02 Sep 2003 10:45:20 -0700
Can anyone offer some tips on this?  When retorquing a head, is the proper
procedure to back off each nut/bolt then retighten, doing them all in
recommended sequence?  And when backing off, how much?  A friend was told not
to back off the nuts/bolts first, just to retorque.

Years ago, I had a Toyota Celica that was weeping coolant from between head
and block.  I retorqued the head and it solved the problem.  I used the
"back-off first" method at that time.  It had an aluminum head on a cast iron
block rather than cast iron for both- I don't know if the procedure varies by
application.