Re: Small Top

To: "Bill Collier" <wmcollier@earthlink.net>, <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Small Top
From: David Councill <dcouncil@imt.net>
Date: Sun, 21 Sep 2003 11:34:59 -0600
The best way to stretch the top is to make sure the material is warm when
you do it.

My Landcruiser top in particular is quite a pain to install or remove, such
that I usually take it off in June and then do not put it on again until
early September. And it does have some shrinkage in storage. For the final
fit (stretch) to the rear, I usually let the car with the partially
installed top sit outside in the sun on a 80 degree day for a few hours and
then it stretches right on.

But if I miss that final warm day, I put the top on and in order to make
the final stretch, I have to put a space heater in the car and heat it from
the inside. And that is my fate this year - I fractured my right ankle
during a mountain hike three weeks ago and have yet to regain the ability
to drive a manual transmission. So now I have both a topless Landcruiser
and a MGB in my garage and topless weather all but gone here in Montana.

Normally the B top stretches to the front with the header rail. The two
clips can pull the top in for the final 1/2" or so. You can eyeball the
header placement and then try the stretch after the top is fairly warm and
pliable. Being in Texas, that likely won't be a problem.  Just try to make
what you do reversible - meaning don't trim any fabric and use a light
spray adhesive that will not be permanent.

Even with a warm top, there is a stretch limit so still use some caution
and slow stretching rather than trying to get it all in one pull.

David Councill
67 BGT
72 B
74 Toyota Landcruiser