high fuel consumption

To: "MG list" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: high fuel consumption
From: "MonteMorris" <mmorris@nemr.net>
Date: Sun, 28 Sep 2003 22:28:42 -0500
Just this week I got the newly (July) painted 79B all back together and
running. It looks fantastic. The car hadn't been driven since last December.
I took it on a 100 mile cruise yesterday and it is running real well (had it
up to 80 mph), but noticed it is using a lot of gas. I filled it, topped up
the damper oil, and drove it 44 miles today and it used 3.75 gallons. Less
than 12 mpg! A year or so ago I checked it and it was getting 23 mpg. It
seems that it may have been using more fuel last year when I started
stripping it down for the paint job.
 It still has the ZS (with water choke), which I throughly cleaned and
replaced the diaphragm on last fall.  The choke starts the car as it is
supposed to: fully depressing accelerator before starting engages the fast
idle; kick accelerator and it idles down. I disconnected all the pollution
control last fall; took off air pump, plugged the four ports of the air
injection manifold, and removed the gulp valve.
 I pulled the air piston off the carb and the needle base is flush with the
bottom of the piston.
I'll start going through the list on page 85 in Moss this week to try to
determine the cause. If anyone has any suggestions please feel free to chime
in.
Can you disconnect the water choke somehow and run without it to see if the
problem lies there?
Thanks,
Monte