Lawrie - MGC

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Lawrie - MGC
From: WSpohn4@aol.com
Date: Sat, 4 Oct 2003 20:45:06 EDT
Welcome back - must have been annoying to have to read what some were saying
and be unable to respond with a quick "Nonsense!"  ;-)

I looked through my MGC manual and the thickness of the head seems to be a
bit of information that the factory felt we could do without. Pretty hard to
measure in situ, or I could measure ours - SWMBO has been bombing about in it
scaring the local livestock and probably making the parents swear at that 'kid'
making so much noise.

With stock cam timing the compression pressure you are getting shouldn't be
over around 10:1 and it should run alright on pump high-test. Have you tried it
with a stock head gasket?

When I built our C, I was pretty sane about it (compared to some of the other
stuff I've used on the street) and had the good sense to leave the
compression alone and get the power by flowing the head, and improving BMEP
with
headers, mild cam and triple carbs.

Oh how I wish that I hadn't built the engine about a year before unleaded
became an issue, or I'd also have put in hardened exhaust seats. Now it is just
matter of time before the head needs to come off again to have the seats
done, but at the rate we use it, I can probably make do for the next 5 years at
least.

Bill