RE: MGB Coil Over suspension and adj front swaybars

To: "'Larry Colen'" <lrcar@red4est.com>, <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: MGB Coil Over suspension and adj front swaybars
From: "Dean T. Lake" <dtlake@erols.com>
Date: Fri, 10 Oct 2003 17:07:06 -0400
lc> I could not help but notice that with Moss giving 15% off all
purchases over $1000, that brings the price of the MGB coil over
suspension down to $850. Very, very tempting. Though the catalog (page
6) lists $999.95 for the adjustment wrench, and that seems a bit
pricey to me. Even at 15% off.

-------------------

dl> I think that silly price means they don't have it anymore.  You will
have to call them to check on its availability.

-------------------

lc> I'm interested in feedback from people who have done this
conversion. It seems that the delta in price over just going to tube
shocks makes it quite worthwhile. However, I've learned the expensive
way to try and let others do the expensive research for me, when I
can.

Also, how does it change, if at all, the geometry of the suspension?
Is a 600lb/in spring the same effective spring rate as on a stock MGB?

-------------------

dl> The stock spring rates are closer to 480 with some variation for
rubber bumpers and GT's.  The Special Tuning Manual has a good breakdown
of the original spring rates.

lc> The other thing that I'd like to find for my front suspension is an
adjustable 1" anti sway bar. My gut feel is that 15/16" is right, but
I'd like the tunability of an adjustable. Are there any available?

dl> Grassroots Motorsports has an advertiser who does custom sway bars.
I forget their name, but I called them once and it seems to me they said
it would be around 200 bucks for a custom unit.  The adjustable
connectors are available from any race supplier.

Dean