wheel bearing retaining nut - where did it go?

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: wheel bearing retaining nut - where did it go?
From: "Galen Work" <gwork@who-ville.net>
Date: Sat, 11 Oct 2003 21:16:57 -0400 (EDT)
  I need to remove the (wire wheel) hub on the front left of my (late) `64
MGB. The right one is fine,...shims, bearings, retaining washer, nut.
When I took the left wheel off, I looked down the hub, I saw nothing
like what I expected. Instead of the nut with pin through it, there is
some sort of cap with a single 1/4" threaded post coming out the center
an inch or so. There isn't anything on the post. The "cap" nearly fills
the entire width of the inside of the hub. There are no splines, holes,
or other distinguishing marks on the cap inside the hub.

So, what is this thing in the hub and more importantly, how do I get it
out of there?

Thanks much for any assistance!

Galen