Re: Bodywork/Rocker Panel

To: "Zach Dorsch" <herr_dorsch@yahoo.com>, <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Bodywork/Rocker Panel
From: "Telewest \(PH\)" <paul.hunt1@blueyonder.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 13 Oct 2003 09:42:33 +0100
Ideally the gap should be even all the way round the door which is why it
(the door) should be left on until the sill is at least tacked into
position, I wish the person who fitted the sills on my roadster (before I
bought it) had done that.

The front wing/fender secures at the bottom with three screws into captive
nuts in the sill/castle section lower flange, there should be an elongated,
rounded-end washer under each screw.  The fact that the front wing/fender
secures at the bottom with screws whereas the rear is welded does not really
have any bearing on whether one rots through faster than the other.  If the
front splash plates are missing or the seals are bad then the fronts will
probably rot sooner because water, salt and dirt will be driven into the
space by the front tyre.  With a good seal that area will stay clean and
relatively dry, although some wet will inevitable come up from the bottom.
It will come up from the bottom in the rear cover panel too, as gaps must be
left for drainage as in the length of the sill and castle rail.  The real
cause of corrosion of the front and rear cover panels is the very narrow
space between them and the sill which is too small to allow complete
coverage by sprayed Waxoyl even if very liquid or sprayed in very warm
ambient temperatures.  I squirt a jet of thinned Waxoyl in there from above
(by removing the trim panel behind the door for the rear panel) then poke a
thin strip of card around to try and distribute it fully.  Also spray enough
in enough directions so it drips out the whole length of the bottom seam,
which is another reason not to seal the bottom of the rear panel.  I have
also squirted clean engine oil in these areas in the past.  Oil tends to
drip once then stop for good, whereas Waxoyl can start to drip again in very
hot sun, but the Waxoyl gives a thicker covering.

PaulH.