Re: Engines that you have loved and blown

To: lrcar@red4est.com
Subject: Re: Engines that you have loved and blown
From: Bob Howard <mgbob@juno.com>
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2003 08:47:23 -0400
Larry,
   Ease on down to the library and check out the copy of "Machinery's
Handbook 26", by Industrial Press.  Starting at page 403 begins a section
of some 125+ pages describing everything you might ever have wanted to
know about steel and treatments.  After that follows a section on
non-ferrous metals.
   For those of us who are not engineering types, the images of
'homoginizing steel', 'isothermal transformation', 'maraging', and 'snap
temper'  have great intrigue.
   Really, there is more information in that book than I can comprehend,
but it may well have the data that you are seeking.  I have used it to
determine starting current for electric motors, resistance in wires, and
to answer questions about compatibilities of types of stainless steels.
It really is a trove.
Bob