Re: New list member / B owner with special part sourcing

To: <mark.d.melvin@jpmchase.com>, <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: New list member / B owner with special part sourcing
From: "mgamgb" <mgamgb@ihug.co.nz>
Date: Wed, 29 Oct 2003 19:19:17 +1300
I'm converting a BGT (and a Mdget1500) at the moment.

I was able to locate a rusted CB BGT, and was able to strip all the bits I
needed from that, although I am not changing the interior.

Body -
 you will need to modify the bit under the tail lights.
 also the front guards to take the CB front parking/blinker assembly.

Bumpers -
 New mounts in the front and rear for the CB bits..
 Cut back the front RB mounts and cap off so that there is room for the
grill.

Suspension -
 You can get various after market springs, dropped spindle king pins,
flattened rear springs, spacer blocks etc to lower the car. Problem with all
of these is reduced suspension travel and/or reduced clearance under front
suspension.
 I used CB front cross member, and modified the rear spring mounts back to
CB locations.  CB cross member requires shortening the pinion shaft and
rebuilding the steering box mounts.
It is not practical to carry out the rear spring mount modifications unless
the car is on a rotisserie. The rear spacer tubes are very difficult to get
at.

The conversion was only worth while doing because I was able to locate a
donor car, and my RB car was esentially rust free. The donor car supplied
the tail light bits and the front side light sections.

I have no idea of the cost, but it hasn't cost much more in dollar terms
than the the full rebuild that I was going to do anyway. I has taken a long
time though.

Cheers
Ian F