RE: 84 XJ6 trivia question

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: 84 XJ6 trivia question
From: Chuck Renner <crenner@dynalivery.com>
Date: Mon, 3 Nov 2003 16:29:12 -0600
> I have an 84 XJ6 parts car/winter beater that got given to
> me. I need to put fresh gas in as it probably has gotten
> water in the fuel tanks. I would like to deal with just one
> tank right now and need to know what position the dash button
> for changing the fuel tanks would be to run the right side
> tank. I have no manual.

Carl, I can't remember which way is which, but if you look on the switch
itself, you'll find two ways to tell.  First, there are some arrows on
the face of the switch which are (dimly) lit with the dash lights.
Second, there's a white band visible on the outside of the button when
it's 'out'.  You'll see a letter there to indicate which side it's
drawing from.

Of course, there's a good possibility that the PO eliminated the
changeover valve, or that's it will return fuel to the wrong tank, etc.
So be aware of those possibilities.

Also, the XJ tanks have a threaded plug in the bottom, making it very
easy to drain any old fuel and water.