Re: Heater installation

To: Barrie Robinson <barrier@bconnex.net>, mgs@autox.team.net,
Subject: Re: Heater installation
From: Barney Gaylord <barneymg@MGAguru.com>
Date: Mon, 10 Nov 2003 00:10:45 -0600
At 06:43 PM 11/9/03 -0800, Barrie Robinson wrote:
>To all those challenged in installing their heater box in an MGB I have
>got an answer thanks to advice given by Mike Winney!
>If anyone wants to know how it is done contact me off list

So I did contact Barrie, and he sent me photos and notes, and I have posted
them at the bottom of the page here:
http://chicagolandmgclub.com/photos/b_heater

Then consulting the Haynes manual I found this:

For the early models:
"Lift out the heater assembly".
"Take care to re-route the air control cable correctly".

For the later models (GHN5 and HGD5 models from vehicle No 410002):
         (That would be the start of the 1977 model year in June 1976)
".... withdraw the heater unit from the car".
"Feed the temperature control cable through the bulkhead slot before
fitting the heater unit".

This sounds like the factory must have wised up after a while and added a
slot in the 1977 and later models, similar to the cut shown in Barrie's
picture.  If this is the case, then it would be nice if someone with a
later model car (hopefully with the heater already out) could take a
picture and measurements of the "bulkhead slot" to show the factory
configuration, and this could be used as a guide for modifying earlier
cars.  I would be happy to post that on the same web page.

Barney Gaylord
Editor and Webmaster
Chicagoland MG Club
http://chicagolandmgclub.com